MSC Fourm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
MSC Fourm

Map Showing Community

You are not connected. Please login or register

TF2 Updates

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1TF2 Updates Empty TF2 Updates Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:31 pm

jdhthegr8

Intern Member
Intern Member

In this topic we will discuss recently announced updates for TF2, or talk about what we think/hope will be in future ones. Any ideas?

2TF2 Updates Empty Re: TF2 Updates Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:19 pm

Typo Hui

Fourm Member
Fourm Member

OK here is my long list!

I wish that the next updates would be Demoman. I would just love to see what they would give him. (i will tell you what i think the new weps will be futher down)

Now what I think will be the next update will be is the spy or maybe the sniper. I think this because of that there is a pattern if you look at the order of the updates. (first was a medic from the support group, then a pyro from the Offence group, then the Heavy from the defence group) Now the pattern is not a sure thing yet, but very likely. (I wont know untill they realesse the next update) But still by going from the logic it will most likely be from the support group. I would think spy over the sniper though.

As for the weapons I do have some ideas but those ideas sort of come to me then I forget them so I will tell you what I know right now then say more later if needed.

Demoman-
Dynamite- this seems like he would have this since they had it before that they would might bring it back

Scout-
Smg- I would doute that they would bring this back but hey you never know Very Happy
Wooden Baseball bat- eh just a wooden bat. on the mele wepons just seem to be a recreate of the old one.

But really when you think about it seems that the mele and the main wepons are a recreate of the old ones but with a new style. So far they have made the mele wepons useless to go back to the old ones, Valve is getting better at it though. Like the Medic the bone saw is just too useless compard to the urbersaw. The pyros new axe is somewhat better at switching back and forth, but still kind of favors the new axe. Really the only time I would switch back to the regular axe is when the map has some water and I will be in the water a lot, and when there are a lot of pyro's on the game. And with the heavy the new gloves are somewhat usefull (but still need a bit more advanage), and there are a lot of people that I see that switch often. I do swich often depending on the situation. And with natasha I also see a lot of people switch and I do as well.

Over all the new updates are getting better. I was worried when this first started, the medic was just an embarrassment, the pyro was a huge inprovment, and the heavy i would say did pretty well with the new weapons.

But if I would say what the most usefull updated class is right now would be the pyro. The flamethowers are really nice to switch from, and the shotgun and flaregun are also fun to switch from. I think that with the pyro you have more options and tactical ways to use that class, also now more people can use the pyro because if you are better at sneaking up on people you can use the backburner, or use the flamthower if you are better at running into the open or have good timeing and prediction useing the new compress blast feature.

Also on the next new update, no info on it right now everything is hush hush.

https://msccommuntiy.forumotion.com

3TF2 Updates Empty Re: TF2 Updates Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:00 pm

Typo Hui

Fourm Member
Fourm Member

from a TF2 offical Blog:

October 8, 2008 - Robin Walker

Work on the next class pack is gearing up, a little slower than we'd like. In the meantime, I thought I'd post some answers to the common email questions we receive.

How do respawn waves work? Is my respawn time affected by my performance? Why do they exist at all?

Respawn waves occur on regular intervals, based on the map settings. Most of our maps use a 10 second respawn wave time. That 10 seconds is then modified by the map state, generally reduced for the team that controls the most capture points. Each team's respawn wave time is then scaled down if the team has less than 8 players in it, to a minimum of 5 seconds if team has 3 or less players in it. When you die, you are assigned to the respawn wave after the next one. So if the respawn wave time is currently 10 seconds for your team, you'll respawn somewhere between 10 and 20 seconds from your death. Your individual performance doesn't affect your respawn time in any way.

TF2 Updates Wave_thumb

We found respawn waves were a good solution to several problems.

• They provide a reward for the team that's doing well, in that if they wipe out a significant amount of the enemy team they're rewarded with a short grace period in which they can achieve objectives. Without them, we found teams felt like they'd been penalized when they cleared the enemy off the last capture point, only to have them all return immediately.
  • They group respawning players together into squads, increasing the chances of strangers working together, or at the very least, moving to the frontline while maintaining some proximity to one another. Strangers aren't pushed together into groups when everyone respawns instantly, and we've seen that proximity to team mates is a fundamental requirement for impromptu teamwork.
  • They provide some ebb & flow in the pacing of the battle. Without some cooldown inbetween the moments of intense combat at the frontline, many players felt fatigued much more quickly. In particular, some attack/defense maps feel almost completely static without respawn waves. That lack of progress, in either direction, was a big factor in players finding the gameplay monotonous.
  • The spectator camera seen while waiting to respawn gives players some time to observe their team mates. This provides a minor help to teamwork, allowing players to see what other members of their team are up to. More importantly, we've seen that new players learn a lot of advanced techniques by spectating better players. This is one of the reasons why the spectator camera tries to find a team mate who's playing the same class as you.

Obviously, there are other solutions to these problems, but respawn waves do a good job across the board.

Also, if you haven't seen it yet, we've recently put up the Left 4 Dead blog. Erik Wolpaw is posting over there, and he's the man behind Glados in Portal. He's much funnier than those of us on TF2, so if I were you, I'd stop reading this and go bookmark that instead.
This has something decent info and is about TF2 (they sometimes post a blog that has nothing to do with TF2)

4TF2 Updates Empty Re: TF2 Updates Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:52 pm

Typo Hui

Fourm Member
Fourm Member

Again from the Blog pretty interesting:

Finding the Time to Bleed
October 16, 2008 - Valve Writing Staff

Since the release of Meet the Sandvich in August, several people have asked us how something we'd boasted would be "our magnum opus," "over four hours long" and "make Citizen Kane look like something dumb a complete idiot would make," ended up being one un-dramatic minute spent inside a refrigerator.

Now that more than a month has passed and the wounds have healed on Meet the Sandvich, we can finally give you an honest account of this aborted 240-minute epic, and by that we mean point fingers: It was all the bean counters' fault.

The suits took issue with every brave, authority-questioning page of our Meet the Sandvich script-specifically that there were supposed "similarities" between it and the 1987 action film Predator, and more specifically that it was word for word the 1987 action film Predator.

"Could you explain to us how your script is in any way different from Predator?" asked one of the suits.

"Predator takes place in Guatemala," Erik Wolpaw explained, using his I'm-explaining-something-idiotic-to-a-child voice. "Meet the Sandvich takes place inside a refrigerator in Guatemala."

"Where you can hear Predator happening outside of the refrigerator," clarified Jay Pinkerton.

"Also, Predator is two hours long," Erik continued. "Ours is four hours long."

"Right," said a suit, "but only because the script includes the first half of Predator..."

We nodded.

"... then all of Road House, and then the rest of Predator."

TF2 Updates Predator01

More nods. For a bean counter, this guy had really done his homework. Much like Dutch, when Dillon explains to Dutch how the Predator uses the jungle to its advantage, these suits really "got" it. We let our defenses down.

"Our script is pretty much exactly like Predator," Jay agreed.

"We took the script for Predator and put our names on it," Erik added, in case this hadn't been clear.

"Also, we had to paste the script for Road House there in the middle," Jay said when it suddenly occurred to him that business types who don't understand the creative art of writing might think merely writing your name on the Predator script isn't a full time job for two people. With everyone apparently now on the same page, Jay began working the room and shaking hands.

As it turns out, we'd been led, like the Predator by Dutch, into a trap. Instead of sharpened bamboo and weighted jungle pulleys, though, this was a trap of words, and instead of the Predator, it was us.

TF2 Updates Predator02

The suits demanded we give them the script so they could shred it. Just like in Predator, Jay doused the script pages in mud to conceal their heat signature from the suits. Unlike in Predator, this did nothing. The script was confiscated and destroyed. This created a small problem for all the Team Fortress actors we had standing around in the recording booth, watching us through the window with increasingly visible agitation.

"Hello?" barked Rick May, the voice of The Soldier. "Are we doing this or not?"

"Oh man, we are going to get fired now," Jay said. "We'll have to get jobs! We'll have to..." Jay tried to think, failed, then gave up in frustration. "What do people who aren't writers do?"

"I think they... sell things," said Erik, clutching at fuzzy images of people he'd walked past on the street on the way to nice restaurants. "Shoes and watches. From behind tables." He remembered his butler, who wasn't a writer. "Oh! Or they serve things."

"What are you two idiots talking about in there?" asked Gary Schwartz, the voice of the Heavy.

Jay grabbed the intercom mic. "Shut up, please," he observed.

TF2 Updates Predator03

"Anyone else notice this script is basically Predator?" Nathan Vetterlein, the voice of the Scout, asked. "It's not just me, right? This is word for word Predator."

"You think you can do any better?" spat Erik, a cloud of sandwich chunks hitting the sneeze guard they put between actors and writers in professional recording studios.

"You think what we do is easy?" screamed Jay, sending a further cascade of sandwich onto the sneeze guard. "Where would you have put the script for Road House into the script for Predator, smart guy? At the beginning? Because then it's just two movies," he said, not even believing how stupid someone could be to do that. He put his sandwich down to better illustrate the point with his hands, using his open palms to signify two different scripts, then bapping them together to further illustrate how stupid that would be.

Just as Jay's sandwich hit the table, a light went on in the refrigerator in Erik's head. "Sandwich... Sandwich! Say..." He punched the intercom. "Hey, guys? This is gonna sound crazy, but I have a new direction I want to try. Who's seen the movie Predator?"

"I have!" Jay exclaimed, thrusting his hand into the air.

Erik began to pace. "We open on a chopper. Inside sits Dutch, muscles bulging thr—"

TF2 Updates Predator04

"Look," Rick May interrupted, "how about we just improvise something?"

"Improvise..." Erik said, stretching the "s" out thoughtfully while staring at the ceiling.

After a minute of Erik saying "sss" followed by a gasping gulp of air followed by a few minutes of silence, Rick May tapped on the glass and asked us if we wanted him to tell us what "improvise" means.

It turns out "improvise" is another word for "the writers just watch," which sounded good to us. Better yet, the improvising was a big success, and led to the dialog you heard in Meet the Sandvich: rude, raw and spontaneous, like freestyle rap (or, as Valve writer/amateur freestyle rap impresario Marc Laidlaw refers to it, the poetry of the streets.) Here's a sampling below of some of the stuff we didn't end up using:

Heavy:

"What's that, Sandvich?"

Scout:

"Gimme back my legbone!"

"He's like a big shaved bear!"

"Pain!"

"I regret everything!"

Soldier:

"We got him by the short and friskies!"

"Don't do it!"

"You're writing checks your butt will find uncashable!"

"You only get one!"

"You call that killing me?"

"I will pay you all of my money!"

"Half the blood in your body!"

After an hour of high quality stuff like the dialog above, the writers had gained enough confidence to improvise some of our own. Here's a line we improvised ourselves from the movie Predator:

"I don't have time to bleed!"

Another improvisational gem, courtesy of Valve's award-winning writing staff, unilaterally tag-team writing alongside the powerhouse writers of Road House:

"Pain doesn't hurt!"

Here's a line we improvised that almost did make it into Meet the Sandvich, and was only removed after a non-writer dropped by our office and pointed out that we hadn't actually written it per se, and in fact had stolen it outright from The Simpsons:

"He's already dead!"

The point for all you young writers is just this: if the constraints of your current project don't specifically forbid it, your best writing will always result from writing your name on the Predator script. If, for whatever stupid reason, this isn't an option, improvise. Improvised dialog feels more real because it's lived. More importantly, it requires no actual writing.

I really enjoyed reading this. some of the sounds did seem that they where taken out of different shows/ movies.
(all of the stuff on quotes are links to the sounds if you want to hear them)

5TF2 Updates Empty Re: TF2 Updates Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:03 pm

Typo Hui

Fourm Member
Fourm Member

Aww man I just found this aut a while ago:

http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?story=55364

They are not going to release the next update untill next YEAR! It is a little sad but this will give me the opertunity to get all the achievments that I have been missing for the other classes fairly.

6TF2 Updates Empty MY TURN TO BE GOSSIPY! Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:30 pm

jdhthegr8

Intern Member
Intern Member

Tenth class in TF2? http://www.joystiq.com/2008/11/15/rumor-valve-hinting-at-10th-team-fortress-2-class-in-left-4-dea/
No it's not a rickroll, and not a joke. A box advertising TF2 in the L4D demo says "Collect all 10!" ......eh? A whole other class!? What do you guys think of another class, and what do you think it would be?

7TF2 Updates Empty Re: TF2 Updates Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:49 pm

Typo Hui

Fourm Member
Fourm Member

jdhthegr8 wrote:Tenth class in TF2? http://www.joystiq.com/2008/11/15/rumor-valve-hinting-at-10th-team-fortress-2-class-in-left-4-dea/
No it's not a rickroll, and not a joke. A box advertising TF2 in the L4D demo says "Collect all 10!" ......eh? A whole other class!? What do you guys think of another class, and what do you think it would be?
Any though this sounds strange (i mean if there is going to be a 10th class then would that unballence the type of classes? (IE: Offence, Defence, Support)
But you know what I said about the spy class not coming untill next year. This might be the reason why they are taking so long (most of the time the release classes are a few months after the last one, but this one will be almost a half a year from the Heavy Update) I mean if they are adding a new class then it would take a long time to make the Models, anamations, skins, weapon ideas, the classes streanths and weaknesses, ect.

hmm you never know.

8TF2 Updates Empty Re: TF2 Updates Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:51 pm

Typo Hui

Fourm Member
Fourm Member

silent Also By the Way it has been quiet on the TF2 site. Nothing new has been said in several months now

9TF2 Updates Empty Re: TF2 Updates Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:10 pm

jdhthegr8

Intern Member
Intern Member

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/56847
A guy that is helping make the updates hints that there might be one or more classes in the concept stage, and that they are adding community levels, a new Payload map, and a "different" gamemode with the Scout update. WOOT

10TF2 Updates Empty Re: TF2 Updates Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:02 pm

jdhthegr8

Intern Member
Intern Member

Hmm... if they ever did add a tenth class, it would probably be support. Support is usually a good balance of offense/defense, so the balance would be fine. However, even if a tenth class is offense/defense, it wouldn't imbalance it. If offense had 4 classes, then people wanting to play it would have to leave one of the other three they usually play (Example: A person playing Soldier would have to change to the tenth class and leave his team with one less Soldier).

11TF2 Updates Empty Re: TF2 Updates Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:51 pm

Typo Hui

Fourm Member
Fourm Member

hmmm i guess. i wander what their ideas are, they said that they had several

12TF2 Updates Empty Re: TF2 Updates Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:17 pm

jdhthegr8

Intern Member
Intern Member

Disregarding all the rumors and speculation about random weapons and all that, what do you think will be in the Sniper update.... could "The Jar" be real?

13TF2 Updates Empty Re: TF2 Updates Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:44 am

Typo Hui

Fourm Member
Fourm Member

jdhthegr8 wrote:Disregarding all the rumors and speculation about random weapons and all that, what do you think will be in the Sniper update.... could "The Jar" be real?
I believe it is acually, i mean it does make sence, and i could see it being a decent weapon, of coarse the other people will probally not like it because from the sounds of it, it you get hit you will go blind, so that would mean that the jar would do somthing of that nature. but i think it is a great idea because it will help with spies and will make people think twice to come up to a sniper at closer range

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum